Topics For A Research Paper In Sociology
Sociology is a fascinating field of study. If you're taking a sociology class or interested in doing some independent research, this list can help you get started.
Sociology is the study of groups of people and their cultures, customs, practices. Because this topic is so broad, and our culture is always changing, the possibilities for writing and research are endless. With sociology, you can research just about anything, from Beyonce to Scientology.
This list will also guide you to make your own, original topic based on theoretical sociology. The top ten sociological subjects are listed below with plenty of ideas for your research.
The list is organized around 10 umbrella topics, each with its own set of mini-topics. These umbrella topics include:
- Race, Nationality, and Ethnicity
- Mass Media
- Sociology of Food
- Youth Cultures
- Sociology of Gender and Sexuality
- Social Movements
- Cults, Clans, and Communities
- Class Conflict and Inequalities
- Spirituality, Superstition, and Legends
- The Family
Sociology Term Paper Topics: 20 Interesting Problems To Explore
To create a good term paper in sociology is one of the easiest tasks that you can receive. This subject is so versatile and so easy to explore that almost any situation you ever faced in your life can be analyzed from the sociological point of view. If you want to make your paper appealing for your classmates, you have to discuss matters that are common to you all and provide solutions for them. Here are 20 interesting problems to take a look at:
- Gender stereotypes: How are these present in the society and how often we become aware of them? Give some well-known examples and explain why these can be damaging.
- Objectification of women. We can notice how the beauty standards become crucial in the life of every woman and how the media is dictating the look, behavior and qualities of women.
- Is technological progress causing damage? In many instances, the technology proved to be more dangerous than helpful.
- Discrimination against immigrants. Analyze the situation in your country and what solutions we can apply to stop this phenomenon from social and political point of view.
- Integrating immigrants in the society. They often come with a different cultural background, and they are considered abnormal by the mainstream society.
- Media and its role in public perception. Give examples on how media can influence opinions.
- Social media and the negative impact of standard communication.
- Feminism. Present the definition of feminism and how this can influence the society.
- Autistic children. Very often, they are perceived as being handicapped, when most of them are actually extremely gifted and intelligent.
- Present one historical even that changed the concepts of society. You can discuss a revolution, war or something similar.
- Socialization. How people learn how to socialize? Are we born with this quality or we develop it in time?
- The perfect age for marriage. Even if nowadays people tend to get married more and more late, apparently the ideal age is around 23.
- Extreme poverty. In some parts of the world, food and clean water are a luxury.
- Gender roles. What people expect men and women to do? Is this moral?
- Adoption by homosexual couples. Can this influence in negative way the adopted child?
- Religion. Most of the people feel the need to believe in a divinity, and it’s one of the most common human characteristics.
- The hierarchic structure of a group. Even when we don’t realize, each group has a leader, official or not.
- Globalization. What are the major effects of this phenomenon? Is it something positive or negative?
- How the place we live in can influence our personality? People who live in the rural area are different from the ones that live in a big city?
- Organ transplantation and the moral arguments that are supporting this procedure.